Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Cholesterol Update

In April of this year I found out that my LDL (bad) cholesterol level was 260! Well I got new test results back last week…LDL 131.3 & my HDL (good) cholesterol level is at 42.

I opted not to take any cholesterol medicine & I’m glad I did. If I can do it, so can you. What have I been doing to get it down? It’s very basic.

1. First is exercise. 4-5 days a week. I still don’t love working out but it is one of those necessary evils. My schedule is so hectic that I am thankful to my friend Jason for introducing me to P90X. I can workout when I travel. I feel stronger and more flexible than I have since 2002.

2.My diet hasn’t varied too much. I just eat more of the "GOOD FOODS" I started with the honey & cinnamon (added into my protein drink) Oatmeal for breakfast, not always but a few times a week. I do eat a salad with lots of different colored veggies in it almost every night, all topped with Blue Cheese dressing. I have some sort of protein for lunch and dinner (chicken, steak, pork)

I also drink more “antioxidant” juices every morning and evening such as pomegranate and mona vie. The munchies in the house are raw almonds, walnuts, dried apricots, prunes, mangos etc.

In the refrigerator, on the middle shelf in clear containers we have ready to eat, broccoli, cauliflower, radish, carrots & celery, blueberries or raspberries, apples & bananas, or whatever fresh fruit is available.

Every Friday my wife cooks up some sort of fish. Most of that time it’s Salmon, Tilapia, Orange Roughy. When we can, we go out for Sushi.

I do indulge in dessert most every night, cookies & milk, or a root beer float. But I also remember that I’ve got to do just a little extra more when I exercise to make up the difference.

3. I drink a lot of water. I start the day off with coffee but after that it’s water. I’d guess I drink at least 3 liters a day. When I’m away from home I’ll drink water & ice tea.

Link to What to eat if you have high cholesterol from the American Heart Association

Bottom line, enjoy what you do & what you eat. Nothing comes easy & it’s the trials & tribulations that we come across that make this journey all the more worthwhile.Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Pat

No comments: