Sunday, March 1, 2009

More on my Nephew Gregg Zaun

Zaun shares family gift with Wieters
Orioles catcher passes along wisdom provided by Dempseys


Gregg Zaun has a very unusual role as a catcher for the Baltimore Orioles this season.

He needs to prepare himself to be the starting catcher for the Orioles during Spring Training, and at the same time, he has the assignment of being a mentor to the man who ultimately will replace him -- Matt Wieters.

"I understand my role, because the Orioles made that role very clear, and I have no problem with it," says Zaun. "I'm just happy to be back with the Baltimore organization, because this is where I had my start."

Zaun's start with Baltimore came in the First-Year Player Draft in June 1989, when he was selected in the 17th round by the Orioles.

History will show there aren't many 17th-round Draft selections who make it to the Major League level, but Zaun has defied the odds and will be entering his 15th big league campaign when the Orioles host the New York Yankees on April 6 in their home opener.

Zaun will go behind home plate at the Orioles' season opener as an accomplished veteran catcher, just eight days away from his 38th birthday.

"I think back and wonder where the time has gone," says Zaun. "It seems like yesterday when I was an 18-year-old kid going to the Orioles' instructional-league camp after I signed and seeing young guys like Brady Anderson, Ben McDonald and Curt Schilling and recognizing the talent of these players.

"I was 5-foot-10 and weighed 145 pounds and got the bat knocked out of my hands when I got into a game. I knew I had a lot of work to do," recalls Zaun.

The Orioles knew one thing about Zaun then and now -- he knows a lot about the job of being a catcher.

His instruction came early and from solid sources -- his uncles Pat and Rick Dempsey.

Rick played 24 seasons in the Major Leagues, including 11 with Baltimore and finished his career with the Orioles in 1992 at the age of 42. He was the Most Valuable Player in the 1983 World Series when the Orioles defeated the Philadelphia Phillies, and he is a well-respected baseball figure in Baltimore.

"My first recollection of Gregg as a catcher is when he was just a teenager and used to travel through the Minor Leagues with my younger brother Pat, who played professionally for 13 years," says Dempsey, now an analyst covering the Orioles for MSAN.

"Pat was a catcher and he would let Gregg warm up pitchers and actually taught him how to set up and receive the ball. I think that early instruction helped Gregg become one of the better defensive catchers of his time," observes Dempsey.

"I learned a lot from both of my uncles," says Zaun. "I was fortunate to receive instruction early from knowledgeable people who cared about me. I also learned a lot from just watching Rick, because he was a competitive and determined player who gave his very best at all times."

It is the experience of his early training and nearly two decades as a professional player that Zaun says he is willing to share with the young and highly rated Wieters.

"It's a thrill for me and a nice compliment that the Orioles would think of me in helping to develop one of the finest young players in the game in Matt," says Zaun.

"I'm here to make myself available and I want Matt to be inquisitive. I'm here to answer questions and give guidance. I'm not a coach yet, but I'm going to do everything I possibly can to prepare Matt," says Zaun.

Both Zaun and his uncle Rick go out of their way to praise the talent of Wieters. "He's the real deal," says Zaun.

"Matt is a very good looking prospect who really cares about all aspects of catching," says Dempsey. "He handles the pitchers well and has a very quick release and strong arm. From what I have seen, pitchers love to throw to him and that says it all."

There have been times when it appeared the Orioles might have lost their way when it came to instruction and team pride being passed from one generation to another as during the glory years in Baltimore baseball history.

It may be that the team now is catching up as the experience passed from Orioles favorite Dempsey to his nephew Zaun now gets directed to the brightest of the Baltimore prospects, Wieters.

Fred Claire was a member of the Los Angeles Dodgers from 1969-98, serving the team as the executive vice president and general manager. He is the author of "Fred Claire: My 30 Years in Dodger Blue." This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Fred Claire was a member of the Los Angeles Dodgers from 1969-98, serving the team as the executive vice president and general manager. He is the author of "Fred Claire: My 30 Years in Dodger Blue." This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

No comments: