Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mike Gorton Wins 2008 RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship

My good friend Mike Gorton accomplished a great feat at the ReMax World Long Drive Championship 2008...Super Senior Long Drive Champion. He now has 4 WORLD TITLES!!! I couldn't be more proud of him. This "old guy" can bring it!!! I vowed to move in with him so he could teach me a few things.

I totally blew it in the semi-final rounds. What happened? Everything I learned & worked so hard for left me. I had a mental block...I forgot how to swing a club, That's it. I have to say though, I'm glad I did, because it taught me something, gave me something to work on. So I'm seeing a shrink, just kidding. I know I'm one of the lucky ones with natural physical strength, but when I get on that tee box my nerves are out of control and I let it take over. Golf & Long Drive is a Mental Game and the only competitor we have to beat is the "demons" in our head when we're on that tee box. So that is what I will be working hard on, the mental aspect of the game. I'll continue to work out and guys,I'm gonna come back with a vengence!

Meanwhile, take a 'look see' at the press release on this 4 Time World Long Drive Champ...Mike Gorton.

MESQUITE, Nev. - World Long Drive Champion Mike Gorton won his 4th career World Long Drive Title at the 2008 RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship at the Palms Golf Club in Mesquite Nevada.

Equipped with a Cyberstar NanoV Spec 425 9.0 degree driver and NanoHighSpeed™ Tour Shaft, the Yonex Long Driver and current Yonex PGA and Nationwide Tour Representative successfully defended his '07 Super Senior title by hitting one huge drive after another in some of the toughest conditions ever at the RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship.

In route to his 2nd straight Super Senior title and 4th career World Long Drive title, Mike hit drives of 350yards (Rd. 1), 376yards (Rd. 2) 397yards (Rd. 5), 387yards (Rd. 7) and 311yards into strong head winds in the Semifinal round.

In the Final round, with head wind gusts of 50mph, crowd favorite Gorton hit a 301yard drive to outlast fellow finalist, Steve Griffith by a whopping 21 yards! When asked about the weather conditions in the Final Round, Gorton said, "I was absolutely generating all the speed I could, it was brutal out there."

Also competing in the 2008 RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship's Senior Division, Gorton became the only Long Driver ever to appear in the Finals of two divisions of the RE/MAX World Long Drive Championships in the same year. Gorton finished in second place with a Final round drive of 356yards coming just 10 yards short of eventual Senior Division winner, Dan Boever.

Mike, the only player ever to win World Long Drive titles in 3 separate divisions, won his first World Long Drive title in 1987, winning the World Long Drive Championship's Open Division with a 322yard drive in the finals. His second World Long Drive Championship came in 2000 when he used a Yonex Vmass 250 driver to hit a 312yard drive in the finals to win the World Long Drive Championship's Senior Division title. Gorton won his 3rd career championship in 2007 with a 340yard drive using a Yonex Cyberstar Nanospeed driver.

Mike began his long drive career in 1981 and is a member of the Long Drivers of America (LDA) Hall of Fame. Gorton was a charter member of the Yonex Long Drive Team back in 1989. Gorton once held the World Record for the world's longest drive, 449yards with a Yonex ADX 300 driver.

Yonex is a successful global company with corporate headquarters in Tokyo, Japan, U.S. headquarters in Torrance, California, Canadian headquarters in Calgary, Alberta as well as offices in England, Germany and Taiwan. Yonex is the world technology leader in Golf, Tennis and Badminton. Yonex is a company driven by technology, constantly exploring new materials, new designs and new ways of improving your game.

For more information on Yonex call the company at 1-800-44-YONEX or visit their website at www.yonexusa.com

Media Contact:
Will Carswell
Yonex Corporation USA
310-793-3869
william.carswell@yonexusa.com

No comments: